|Location: Where is Werrington?|
Werrington, New South Wales Australia, is located within the City of Penrith. Werrington is located west of St Marys and north of the Great Western Highway. It straddles the Western Railway Line. Historically, the region’s settled history dates back to 1806 with land grants to Mary & Elizabeth King, daughters of Governor King, and a grant of 600 acres to Mary Putland, Governor Bligh’s daughter. The land was used for grazing and farming and by the 1880s had been subdivided for residential and small farming lots. This suburb has a feel of openness and retains many picturesque areas of open space, which are used for educational and recreational activities. Nearby Werrington Lakes, one of the largest passive recreational areas in the city, is a haven for wildlife and outdoor activities. Werrington also is well serviced with public transport and sporting facilities.
|Postcode: 2747||Population: 4,031 (2016 Census)||Distance from Sydney: 48.5 km NW|
|Area: 4.45 km or 445 ha||Density: 9.46 people per ha (2006 Census)||Werrington NSW on Google Maps|
Local Government: Werrington is located in North Ward of the Penrith Local Government area. These details will remain current until Local Government elections held in 2012.
|State Government: Werrington is located in the State Government Electorate of Londonderry. Next elections are scheduled for March 2015.|
|Federal Government: Werrington is located in the Federal Government Electorate of Lindsay. Next elections will be held in 2013.|
|Aboriginal Districts: Werrington is located in the Deerubbin Local Aboriginal Land Council Area. Next elections are scheduled for 2011|
Schools & Tertiary Education
Kurrambee Special School: Werrington Road, Werrington NSW 2747.
Ph: (02) 9833 7400; Fax: (02) 9623 1335.
Werrington Public School: Heavey Street, Werrington NSW 2747.
Ph: (02) 9623 7077; Fax: (02) 9623 1339.
University of Western Sydney: Postal: University of Western Sydney Locked Bag 1797 Penrith South DC NSW 1797.
Ph: (02) 9852 5222. The 158-hectare Penrith campus has two sites, Kingswood and Werrington. The sites are linked by a free shuttle bus service. The Werrington North & South Campus sites are on both sides of the Great Western Highway. The Chancellery is located in Frogmore House, Werrington North.
Roads & Streets
Albert Street is named after Albert Consort to Queen Victoria
|Heavey Street is the named after the Heavey family. Andy Heavey owned a shop in High Street|
|Victoria Street is a main road running through Werrington. It was named after Queen Victoria|
Werrington Creek Riparian Restoration Project:
Werrington Creek Riparian Restoration Project: Between Victoria & Burton Streets, Werrington. Work has commenced in the “Peninsula Area”. Mowing of the area has ceased and some revegetation was carried out last year by the Green Corps team. There has been moderate success here however the weeds are invading in masses again. Source: Bushcare Times June 2003.
|Werrington Creek: Werrington Creek is a small creek that flows into South Creek. It has its origins in Orchard Hills and runs through the University of Western Sydney campus and the suburbs of Kingswood, Werrington, and Werrington County. The creek is a catchment for a number of diverse urban land uses. It is capable of capturing high volumes of runoff from rainfall. Werrington Creek rehabilitation is fully supported by the local Werrington Creek Landcare Group.|
|Werrington Lake: This man-made lake was conceived as a solution to help relieve flooding around Werrington Creek Removal of earth began in late 1981. The earth was used to create the rail overpass at Werrington. Lakes construction began in 1982. Stage One cost $225,000. An additional three stages followed, beginning in 1984. The cost of these stages exceeded $500,000. Council constructed walkways, bridges and wharves. Werrington Lakes are a haven for students undertaking wetland and water conservation studies. It has also become a recreational area for picnickers and sports enthusiasts. The area has naturally attracted a great variety of native birdlife.|
Origin of the place name – Werrington
The suburb of Werrington is named after Werrington estate. Mary King, the youngest daughter of Governor Philip King received a land grant of 790 acres in 1806. After her marriage to Robert Copland Lethbridge in Cornwall she returned to NSW with her husband. Lethbridge purchased an additional 600 acres adjoining his wife’s grant. It is on this land that their home Werrington House was built and completed in 1832. The house remained in the King-Lethbridge family until quite recently.
Werrington covers, not only the area of this grant, but also a grant of 600 acres (Frogmore) to Mary Putland. She married Maurice O’Connell in 1810. This grant lies south of the Western Railway Line and north of the Great Western Highway. Confusion occasionally arises between Werrington House and the house now part of the University of Western Sydney campus, Werrington Park (Frogmore). Originally the homestead on the O’Connell estate was named Frogmore. It was re-named Werrington Park in 1935 by the owners, the Williams family.
|Frogmore – now part of University of Western Sydney||Werrington House (Rugby Street, Werrington County) – The home of Robert & Mary Lethbridge.|
|1806||1 January||Grant of 790 acres to Mary King, daughter of Governor Philip King. Named Marys Farm.|
|1806||1 January||Grant of 600 acres to Mary Putland, daughter of Governor William Bligh. Named Frog more.|
|1810||8 May||Mary Putland married Maurice O’Connell|
|1827||24 January||Robert & Mary Lethbridge arrive in Sydney.|
|1832||Werrington House completed.|
|1848||Sir Maurice O’Connell died in Darlinghurst.|
|1855||November||Frogmore sold to land speculator, Andrew Hardie McCulloch.|
|1855||December||Frogmore subdivided and sold.|
|1860||Sir Henry Parkes leased Werrington House for 12 years.|
|1864||Mary O’Connell died in London|
|1865||Robert Copland Lethbridge died.|
|1868||2 May||Parkes Platform opened as a private railway platform for Sir Henry Parkes.|
|1872||Mary Lethbridge died.|
|1878||Parkes Platform opened for public use.|
|1883||17 March||Werrington estate was sold, including Werrington House.|
|1893||Parkes Platform renamed Werrington.|
|1906||St Aidan’s Church of England was consecrated.|
|1935||Alan Williams purchased the homestead on Frogmore and renamed it Werrington Park.|
|1938||Second storey added to Werrington Park.|
|1944||Part of Williams’ property resumed by the Commonwealth for army use.|
|1954;||June;||NSW Child Welfare Department purchased Werrington Park to house intellectually disabled boys.|
|1959||3 June||Thorndale School opened.|
|1973||20 October||Werrington Community Hall opened.|
|1978||Cobham Remand Centre was built|
|1981||Railway overpass constructed over railway line near Werrington Station.|
|1985||Kingsway sporting fields completed|
|1999||The diaries of John King Lethbridge, grandson of Governor King, found buried on what once was Werrington estate.|
|2000||University of Western Sydney began extensive restructuring involving the formation of new Colleges and Schools at Penrith & Werrington.|
For photos and more information on Werrington, search Penrith City Library’s catalogue using an All Resources search.
Werrington suburb heritage profile, Penrith Heritage Study (2007)
Jack, R. Ian & Liston, C., From Frogmore Farm to Werrington Park: a history of the Werrington site, University of Western Sydney, University of Western Sydney, 1991.
Murray, Robert and White, Kate Dharug & Dungaree: The History of Penrith and St Marys to 1860. Penrith City Council, Penrith, 1988.
Nepean District Historical Society, From Castlereagh to Claremont Meadows: Historical Places of Penrith City Council, Penrith, 1997.
Parr, Lorna, A History of the Nepean and District Street Names, Nepean District Historical Society, Penrith, 1990.
Parr, Lorna, John King Lethbridge: The diaries 1871 & 1880, Nepean District Historical Society, 2000.
Parr, Lorna, Penrith Calendar, Nepean District Historical Society, 1987.
Stacker, Lorraine, Pictorial History: Penrith & St Marys, Kingsclear Books, Alexandria, 2002.
Stevenson, Colin R., Place Names and their Origins within the City of Penrith, Penrith City Council, Penrith, 1985.
Stickley, Christine, The Old Charm of Penrith, 2nd ed., the author, St. Marys, 1984.