|Location: Where is South Penrith?|
South Penrith, New South Wales Australia, is located south of the suburb of Penrith and the CBD of the City. The area was mostly made up of small farms before urban development in the 1970s. The suburb consists of undulating hills with wonderful views to the Blue Mountains. With its numerous tributaries into Peach Tree Creek and Surveyors Creek which flow into the Nepean River, the area boasts many fine orchards, vineyards and vegetable gardens. During the late 19th century most of South Penrith was part of the large York’s Estate. South Penrith is bounded on the south by the M4 Motorway, the west by York Road, east by parker Street (Northern Road) and north by Jamison Road. South Penrith hosts one of the largest and more distinctive recreation areas in the City. Once an aerodrome and racecourse, the 100-acre Jamison Park is an important venue for many sporting competitions such as netball, cricket and skateboarding. South Penrith is well located for easy access to Penrith’s CBD, shopping areas and retail outlets.
|Postcode: 2750||Population: 11,562 (2006 Census)||Distance from Sydney: 54.5 km W|
|Area: 5.07 km2 or 507 ha||Density: 22.80 people per ha||South Penrith NSW on Google Maps|
Local Government: South Penrith is located in the South Ward of the Penrith Local Government area. Next elections will be held in 2012.
|State Government: South Penrith is located in the State Government Electorate of Penrith. Next elections are scheduled for March 2015.|
|Federal Government: South Penrith is located in the Federal Government Electorate of Lindsay. Next elections will be held in 2013.|
|Aboriginal Districts: South Penrith is located in the Deerubbin Local Aboriginal Land Council Area. Next elections are scheduled for 2011.|
Jamison High School: Evan St, South Penrith, NSW 2750.
Ph: (02) 4731 6150.
Jamisontown Public School: Thurwood Ave, South Penrith, NSW 2750.
Ph: (02) 4733 2200.
Mary MacKillop Primary School: 150 Fragar Road, South Penrith, NSW 2750.
Ph: (02) 4736 3466.
York Public School: Evan St, South Penrith, NSW 2750.
Ph: (02) 4731 6577.
Origin of the place name – South Penrith
The residential suburb of South Penrith was once known as the York Estate. York brothers, Charles and James purchased a substantial part of Sir John Jamison’s estates after his death. They purchased large sections of Orchard Hills, which was originally granted to Simeon Lord who sold to Jamison and the area south of Jamison Road which was once a grant to Jamison. The whole area from Orchard Hills to Jamisontown was known as the York Estate. Many small farmers lived on the York Estate and paid rent to the York brothers. Fruit orchards, dairy farms and vineyards covered the estate.
In the 1880s the York Estate was broken up and sold as suburban or rural blocks. For the next few decades this estate was gradually sold. Advertisements regularly appeared in the Nepean Times regarding the sale of land on the estate.
|1816||8 October||Simeon Lord land grant of 1000 acres|
|1817||18 January||Sir John Jamison land grant of 1500 acres|
|1847||Jamison’s land sold and broken up into small farms|
|1863||Jamison’s land sold and broken up into small farms|
|1888||Penrith and Nepean Jockey Club purchase 100 acres of the York Estate to establish a race course|
|1889||January||York’s Estate Farms for sale|
|1889||July||James York died|
|1891||June||Petition for a separate Municipality of Mulgoa by residents of Mulgoa Ward. Signed by 217 persons from Jamison Town, York Estate, Littlefields, Glenmore, Regentville, Mulgoa, Luddenham, and Winburn.|
|1910||January||Further advertisements for the sale of York Estate.|
|1959||January||South Penrith Public School opened|
For more information on Agnes Banks:
Search Penrith City Library’s Ipac Catalogue under subject or title.
Search Penrith City Library’s Ipac Catalogue under Local Indexes for entries in the local newspapers, files, magazines on South Penrith.
Search Penrith City Library’s Penrith in Pictures Image Database for photographs on South Penrith.
Murray, Robert and White, Kate Dharug & Dungaree: The History of Penrith and St. Marys to 1860, Penrith City Council, 1988.
Nepean District Historical Society, From Castlereagh to Claremont Meadows: Historical Places of Penrith City Council, 1997.
Parr, Lorna, A History of the Nepean and District Street Names, Penrith, Nepean District Historical Society, 1990.
Penrith City Library Local Subject Files – Cambridge Gardens.
Stacker, Lorraine Pictorial history: Penrith & St Marys, Kingsclear Books, 2002.
Stevenson, Colin R., Place Names and their Origins within the City of Penrith, Penrith, Penrith City Council, 1985.
Stickley, Christine, The Old Charm of Penrith, 2nd ed., the author, St. Marys, 1984.