|Location: Where is Glenmore Park?|
|Glenmore Park, New South Wales Australia, is located south of Jamisontown and South Penrith with its boundary being the M4 Motorway. The suburbs of Regentville and Mulgoa are located to its west and south while Orchard Hills runs along its eastern boundary with the Northern Road as its dividing line. Glenmore Park is one of Penrith City’s largest and most rapidly developing housing estate. Its development has been carefully planned to cater for the social, economic and recreational needs of its residents. This estate is a highly sought-after place to live – especially for its modern facilities and closeness to the Penrith CBD and the M4 Motorway.
47′ 30″S 150 40′ 30″E
|Postcode: 2745||Population: 19,208 (2006 Census)||Distance from Sydney: 59 kms NW|
|Area: 8.30 km2 or 830 ha||Density: 23.14 people per ha (2006 Census)||Glenmore Park on Google Maps|
- Bethany Catholic Primary School: William Howell Drive, Glenmore Park, NSW 2745.
Ph: (02) 4733 5299
- Caroline Chisholm College: 90-98 The Lakes Drive, Glenmore Park NSW, 2745.
Ph: (02) 4737 5500. Fax (02) 4733 1054
- Glenmore Park Public School: Garswood Rd, Glenmore Park NSW 2745.
Ph: (02) 4733 6204
- Glenmore Park High School : Glenmore Park, Glenmore Parkway, NSW, 2745.
Ph: (02) 4733 0155
- Surveyors Creek Public School: St Andrews Drive, Glenmore Park NSW 2745.
Ph: (02) 4737 9571, (02) 4737 9751
Origin of the place name – Glenmore Park
This residential development was part of the South Penrith Release Area. Although the name Peachtree was adopted as a preliminary choice for the new residential development, Penrith City Council opted for the name Glenmore Park as a more attractive name even if not historically accurate. Glenmore Park takes its name from the single-storey cottage named Glenmore built by Henry Cox and his wife, formerly Frances Mackenzie, in 1825. The house and old sandstone stables are now part of the Glenmore Country Club. The Glenmore Park estate was officially opened in February 1990 and is built on part of what was Sir John Jamison’s property Regent Villa built in 1823. This house was situated near the present main entry to the suburb near the roundabout on the hill above.
|1805||Land grant of 1000 acres given to Thomas Jamison|
|1811||Thomas Jamison dies in England, his properties pass to his son Sir John Jamison|
|1823||Regent Villa built by Sir John Jamison|
|1977||7 August||Cardinal Freeman officially opens Caroline Chisholm Girls High Schoo|
|1980||Penrith City Council considers the Area around Glenmore Park for urban development|
|1986||12 November||Penrith City Council given approval for the Glenmore Park estate|
|1989||January||800 ha released by LEP no. 88|
|1990||February||Glenmore Park estate officially opened by Premier Nick Greiner|
|1990||July||University of Sydney undertook archaeological excavations at the site of Regentville|
|1994||Glenmore Park Town Centre Development Plan adopted|
|1994||University of Sydney undertook archaeological excavations at the site of Regentville|
|1996||February||Bethany Catholic Primary School opened|
|1997||30 July||Glenmore Park Public School opened by Jackie Kelly MP|
|1998||January||Glenmore Park High School opened for students|
For photos and more information on Glenmore Park, search Penrith City Library’s catalogue using an All Resources search.
Connah, G. ‘Historical Reality: Archaeological Reality, Excavations at Regentville, Penrith, New South Wales, 1985’, Australian Historical Archaeology, No. 4, 1996, pp. 29-42.
Murray, Robert and White, Kate Dharug & Dungaree: The History of Penrith and St. Marys to 1860. Penrith City Council, Penrith, 1988.
Nepean District Historical Society, From Castlereagh to Claremont Meadows: Historical Places of Penrith City Council, Penrith, 1997.
Parr, Lorna, A History of the Nepean and District Street Names, Nepean District Historical Society, Penrith, 1990.
Parr, Lorna, Penrith Calendar, Nepean District Historical Society, 1987.
Penrith City Library, Local Subject File: Buildings, Historic – Regentville.
Stacker, Lorraine Pictorial history: Penrith & St Marys, Kingsclear Books, 2002.
Stevenson, Colin R., Place Names and their Origins within the City of Penrith, Penrith City Council, Penrith, 1985.
Stickley, Christine, The Old Charm of Penrith, 2nd ed., the author, St. Marys, 1984.