Location: Where is Penrith?
Penrith (suburb), New South Wales Australia, is located on the eastern side of the Nepean River, bounded on the south by Jamison Road, west by Parker Street and north by Andrews Road. The boundaries of this suburb have been defined according to the Geographical Names Board. Therefore, it includes North Penrith, Kingswood Park and Lemongrove. Penrith City Council recognise North Penrith as a separate suburb, however, most residents do not. For the confines of this profile Penrith suburb has its widest boundaries. This suburb is the centre of the City of Penrith, socially, commercially and economically. The Civic Centre and Joan Sutherland Performing Arts Centre, amidst the Central Business District, draw the city’s residents to its active heart.
33 45’01″S 150 41’39″E
|Postcode: 2750||Population: 13,295 (2016 Census)||Distance from Sydney: 55 km|
|Area: 12.33 km2 or 1233 ha||Density: 11.4 people per ha||Penrith NSW on Google Maps|
Local Government: Penrith is located in South and North Wards of the Penrith Local Government area.
State Government: Penrith is located in the State Government Electorate of Penrith.
Federal Government: Penrith is located in the Federal Government Electorate of Lindsay.
Aboriginal Districts: Penrith is located in the Deerubbin Local Aboriginal Land Council Area.
- Penrith High School: High Street, Penrith, 2750.
Ph: (02) 4721 0529; Fax: (02) 4721 2722
- Penrith Public School: High Street, Penrith, 2750
Ph: (02) 4721 2158
- Nepean College of TAFE, Penrith Campus: 117 Henry Street Penrith, NSW, 2750.
Ph: (02) 9208 9999. Nepean College is located on the two campuses of Penrith and Kingswood. Courses are geared to growth areas in the local economy such as tourism and hospitality, retailing, media, health, personal and community services, finance and business.
- St Nicholas of Myra Catholic Primary School: Higgins St, Penrith, N.S.W., 2750.
Ph: (02) 4721 2623; Fax: (02) 4731 1874
Origin of the place name – Penrith
Possibly named after Penrith in the County of Cumberland (now Cumbria), England. It is not known who first introduced the name to the area. The earliest reference to Penrith can be found in the 1819 journal of three Frenchmen – MM. Jean Rene Constant Quoy, Charles Gaudichaud and Alphonse Peilion. In their journal entitled “Excursion to the Town of Bathurst, 1819” they refer to the “military depot” at Penrith. To date, this is the earliest reference found using the name of Penrith. The name may have been in use as early as 1817; however, as records show that a Court-House was operating at Penrith from April, 1817. Whether the name was in use at this earlier date is as yet unknown.
Unlike nearby Castlereagh, Penrith was never a planned town but instead grew up around the early Court House and along the Great Western Highway. In attempting to explain why Penrith was named, the “Australian Encyclopedia” (Vol. VII 1965 edition, P. 52) relates that the English Penrith was also built on one long street, and that “circumstances may have suggested the adopting of the name for the New South Wales town, where the pattern of development, on either side of the Great Western Road, was similar”.
|1804||1 February||Daniel Woodriff granted 1000 acres which covered most of the present Penrith suburb|
|1806||12 September||Governor William Bligh reaffirmed orders preventing settlers from crossing the Nepean River|
|1814||24 January||John Best Superintendent of Convicts at Norfolk Island was granted 470 acres south of the Great Western Road, known as Hornesywood Estate|
|1815||January||Great Western Road (from Emu Ford to Parramatta) built through Woodriff grant by William Cox|
|1815||25 April||Governor Macquarie commenced his tour from Penrith to Bathurst over the newly built road|
|1824||1 January||First horse race in Penrith was run between Peach Tree Creek and Parker Street|
|1828||8 January||John Tindale purchased John Best's grant and built Hornesywood (near Penrith High School)|
|1828||1 March||First Post Office opened at the Court House. Post Master was
|1832||6 April||First Royal Mail coach service from Parramatta to Bathurst via Penrith|
|1832||8 September||John MacHenry died. He owned land north of the railway line|
|1832||30 September||First Court of Petty Sessions established|
|1834||6 September||Sarah MacHenry granted 100 acres in neighbourhood area of Lemongrove|
|1837||22 November||Foundation stone laid for St Stephen's Anglican Church|
|1838||Provisions for Catholics to worship were provided for by the opening of the Catholic Church Parish of Penrith|
|1839||16 July||St Stephen's Church was consecrated and the deeds handed over by John Tindale|
|1839||13 December||Foundation stone laid for St Nicholas of Myra Catholic Church in High Street|
|1844||29 June||Sir John Jamison died and was buried at St Stephen's Anglican Church|
|1850||13 November||Archbishop Polding opened the St Nicholas of Myra Catholic Church|
|1853||6 September||St Joseph's Convent School commenced on the corner of Evan and High Streets|
|1856||2 January||First traffic bridge over the Nepean River opened. It was washed away in a flood the following year|
|1857||25 July||Great flood. Washed away the bridge over the Nepean River|
|1860||28 March||Telegraph Office opened|
|1862||22 April||First account opened at the Bank of New South Wales|
|1863||18 January||Penrith railway station opened|
|1865||11 April||Formal application for a National School at Penrith|
|1867||1 April||Victoria Bridge opened. It carried a single line for both rail and
|1871||12 May||Penrith declared a municipality|
|1880||19 April||Penrith Post Office built|
|1880||4 October||Penrith's third Court House opened. Demolished in 1978|
|1882||3 March||First issue of Nepean Times newspaper|
|1885||26 January||New St Joseph's Convent School official opening which replaced
|1890||11 January||Sergeant James Beatty of Penrith police was murdered while on duty in High Street|
|1890||30 April||Foundation stone laid for Electric Light Station. Penrith was the third country town to have electricity|
|1893||2 March||First Agricultural and Horticultural Show|
|1907||2 May||Railway Bridge opened over Nepean River. Victoria Bridge became road traffic only|
|1911||16 March||Nepean Picture Theatre opened in High Street|
|1911||4 November||William Ewart Hart made the first cross country flight in Australia from Penrith to Parramatta Park, being 18 miles and taking 12 minutes|
|1915||9 November||"Coo-ee" march through Penrith|
|1922||8 July||Memory Park opened as a memorial to the fallen men and women during World War I|
|1928||11 April||Nepean Rowing Club formed|
|1934||27 November||The Duke of Gloucester's Royal Train stopped at Penrith|
|1938||10 September||Explorers' Memorial erected by the citizens of Penrith|
|1944||16 February||Volunteer Bush Fire Brigade formed|
|1948||19 April||An avenue of trees planted along the driveway of Penrith High School to commemorate servicemen of the two World Wars|
|1948||6 May||Penrith's first free Public Library opened in the School of Arts|
|1947||17 December||Penrith Press began|
|1949||1 January||Castlereagh, Mulgoa, St. Marys and Penrith Shires amalgamated to form the Municipality of Penrith|
|1954||7 March||Cardinal Gilroy officially opens St Nicholas of Myra Catholic School|
|1955||8 October||First electric train to Penrith|
|1959||3 June||Foundation stone laid for Council Chambers|
|1959||14 November||Penrith proclaimed a city|
|1962||16 November||Penrith T.A.F.E College opened|
|1963||26 April||Penrith Court House opened|
|1964||6 March||New Penrith Library building opened in Henry Street|
|1967||30 April||St Nicholas of Myra Roman Catholic Church opened|
|1971||30 March||Penrith Plaza opened|
|1973||4 July||Anglican Parish Council considered demolishing St Stephen's Church|
|1973||14 July||Humphrey B. Bear visited Penrith|
|1974||1 December||Last church service in Methodist Church Henry Street|
|1976||St Joseph Convent demolished|
|1976||20 June||Radio station 2KA opened in Borec House|
|1981||19 January||Penrith Tourist Information Office opened to the public|
|1981||20 May||Penrith Police Station opened; the fourth station on the site|
|1981||10 July||Penrith City Council Administrative Centre at 114 Henry Street opened|
|1984||17 April||Penrith Panthers Club opened|
|1985||16 November||Penrith Mall officially opened by Premier Neville Wran|
|1989||February||Penrith High School takes first students as a selective high school|
|1993||31 August||Grand opening of new Penrith Plaza refurbishment|
|1993||7 December||Penrith City Council's New Civic Centre opened for business|
|1994||8 January||Penrith City Library opened for business in new Civic Centre|
|1996||12 September||High Street reopened for traffic after the dismantling of the High
|2000||September||Penrith hosted rowing, kayaking and canoeing at the Sydney 2000 Olympic Games|
|2001||December||Horrendous bushfires swept through Wallacia, Mulgoa, Glenmore Park, Emu Heights and Castlereagh|
|2002||24 January||$6.4 million grant from the State Government to contribute to the $12 million upgrade of the Joan Sutherland Performing Arts Centre|
|2018||October||Yandhai Nepean Crossing pedestrian bridge opens|
|2018||November||$842,000 upgrade of Penrith City Library begins|
Historic buildings & places
Combewood: Combewood was built for Francis Henry Woodriff in 1890, on land granted to Captain Daniel Woodriff in 1804. Built to plans prepared in 1880-1881, the house is a restrained and elegant English Queen Anne Villa. It retains much of its original detailing both internally and externally.
Craithes: Craithes, also known as Cassola, was built in 1870 for Joseph Single. This gentlemen’s Victorian villa is set within a garden at the end of a peppercorn avenue. A tall palm, adjacent to the house, acts as a local landmark.
Cram Place: This two storey building was erected in 1879 as the CBC (Commercial) Bank. It was purchased in 1939 by solicitor John Cram and then by Penrith City Council in 1980. It stands as a well built and maintained example of late Victorian commercial premises. Much of the original detailing to the facade is still present. It would later become known as Morris House.
Kentucky: Noah Hollier purchased the land from the Woodriff estate in 1886 and the house was built sometime between 1886 and 1890. It remained in the Hollier family until 1928 when Noah’s wife died. It was then purchased by Percy Plunkett who lived there until 1965, when it was purchased by the Welch family. They sold it to GRID Developments Pty Ltd in 1987. A fire in November 1991 destroyed part of the house, however it was restored and became a restaurant.
photo by Percy Plunkett
Nepean Cottage Hospital: Penrith’s third hospital, was officially opened on 3 July 1895 by Samuel Lees. In 1926 the name of the hospital changed to Nepean District Hospital. The hospital closed in 1956 when a new hospital opened in Derby Street, Kingswood. The old hospital was remodelled and opened as Governor PhillipSpecial Hospital in 1962.
Kelvin Brae: Kelvin Brae was built around 1910 by Walter Judges, a pharmacist in Penrith. The clay bricks, used for the house, were made on the property.
Red Cow Inn: In 1865 Thomas Smith purchased two acres of land in Penrith and built The Red Cow Inn, transferring his licence from his original Red Cow Inn at Ropes Creek. In the early 1880s Smith opened the two storey Red Cow Inn.
St Aubyns Terrace: This row of terrace houses is located opposite St Stephen the Martyr Anglican Church in High Street Penrith. They were built in 1886 by businessman John Brown who also built Carlton Terrace, once located to the west of St Aubyn’s Terrace.
Thornton Hall: ThorntonHall was built in the 1870’s by Thomas Smith who built the Red Cow Hotel. On his death the property was left to his son, Sydney Smith. Around 1910 it was leased to Henry Lack and became a dairy. By 1941 the whole house and site had been taken over by the Royal Army Engineers Depot. It was later subdivided into four acres and was sold by the Smith family to Read who then sold it to Strong. The Commonwealth Department of Defence compulsorily acquired it from Strong in 1951.
Torin Building: The Torin Corporation factory building on Coombes Drive is of historical significance for its association with American renowned architect Marcel Breuer who was commissioned to design all nine Torin factories throughout the world, including the one at Penrith. Breuer died in New York in 1981, making the Torin Corporation factory in Penrith his last major piece of architectural work. It was built by Harry Seidler. It was used at one time as the Panthers Rugby League team complex. The building is Breuer’s only Australian project.
Victoria Bridge: The Victoria Bridge was completed in 1869 with the northern lane carrying rail traffic and the southern lane used for road traffic. This iron box girder bridge has been used exclusively as a road bridge since 1907 when the adjacent railway bridge was completed.
For photos and more information on Penrith search Penrith City Library’s catalogue using an All Resources search.
Murray, Robert and White, Kate Dharug & Dungaree: The History of Penrith and St Marys to 1860. Penrith City Council, Penrith, 1988.
Nepean District Historical Society, From Castlereagh to Claremont Meadows: Historical Places of Penrith City Council, Penrith, 1997.
Parr, Lorna, A History of the Nepean and District Street Names, Nepean District Historical Society, Penrith, 1990.
Parr, Lorna, Penrith Calendar, Nepean District Historical Society, 1987.
Stacker, Lorraine, Pictorial History: Penrith & St Marys, Kingsclear Books, Alexandria, 2002.
Stevenson, Colin R., Place Names and their Origins within the City of Penrith, Penrith City Council, Penrith, 1985.
Stickley, Christine, The Old Charm of Penrith, 2nd ed., the author, St. Marys, 1984.