PARKS & RESERVES
Bennett Park, St Marys – The Bennett family
Well known wheelwrights and wagon builders in the area for almost one hundred years. James William Bennett owned the land bordered by Gidley Street, King Street, Glossop Street (originally called Bennett Road) and almost to Chapel Street. His house ‘Bronte’ still stands on the corner of King and Gidley Streets. He bought the land from Philip Gidley King, son of Governor King, around 1888.
Brian King Park, Oxley Park – Brian King OAM, 1920-2001
An Alderman on Penrith City Council for 29 years, and served as Mayor of Penrith 3 times. He was awarded the Order of Australia membership in 1986. He was also the founding President and a Life Member of the Penrith International Friendship Association. He led the first Penrith delegation to the city of Fujieda, Japan, in 1984 for the signing of the Sister Cities agreement.
Cedars Park, Claremont Meadows – ‘The Cedars’
The name of both the property bought early in 1935 by Joseph Edward Clayton, and the homestead he built on it. The house stayed in the Clayton family until 1956.
Chapman Gardens, Kingswood – William Leslie (Bill) Chapman, 1910-1971
He became an Alderman of Penrith Municipal Council in 1949 and remained one, through the change to Penrith City Council, until his death on 22 July 1971. He was Mayor from 1950 to 1956 and again from 1961 to 1968. He was also a member of the NSW Legislative Assembly from 1956 to 1969 representing the electorate of Nepean.
Ched Towns Reserve, Glenmore Park – Ched Towns, 1951-2000
A visually impaired paralympian, champion cyclist, triathlete and ironman. He competed in the 1988 Seoul Paralympics in javelin. He was also a keen water skier, bushwalker, mountain-bike rider and adventurer. He was selected to carry the Sydney Olympic torch but died on a mountaineering trip to the Himalayas in January 2000, aged 48 years.
Clissold Reserve, Emu Heights – Thomas Daniel Clissold, 1849-1930
Penrith Municipal Council Alderman for many years between 1884 and 1913; he was in the forefront of the push to bring electricity to Penrith. He was also a well-known local builder who built many of Penrith’s public buildings, including the Hospital, School of Arts, Masonic Hall, Council Chambers, the old Temperance Hall, and many private residences. In 1882 he created the Cranebrook Public School.
Cook Park, St Marys – Joseph Cook, 1894-1971
An Alderman of the Penrith City Council from 1948-1959 and prior to that served on the St. Marys Municipal Council from 1935-1937 and 1941-1947. He was Mayor of the Municipality of St. Marys in 1947. He took a prominent part in community activities and was secretary of the St. Marys Band Club until his retirement.
Dorothy Radford Reserve, St Clair – Dorothy Radford OAM, 1935-2014
A founding member of the St Marys Development Committee, affectionately known as Mrs St Marys. She was St Marys’ first Citizen of the Year in 2001. She received the Order of Australia membership in 2003 for services to the community of Penrith, particularly through veteran, youth and aged care groups. She was involved with the Meals on Wheels service in St Marys, the Girl Guides program, the St Marys RSL, and many other community organisations.
Eileen Cammack Reserve, South Penrith – Dr Eileen Cammack OBE, 1914-2000
Served 20 years on Penrith Council, including 3 terms as Mayor from 1974; she was Penrith’s first female Mayor. Her other roles included co-founder of Jamison Private Hospital, foundation President of the Business and Professional Women’s Club, President of the Penrith Chamber of Commerce and Industry, founding member and patron of Nepean Red Cross Voluntary Aid Detachment, and patron of more than 25 charitable, sporting, cultural and business organisations. In 1977 Eileen was honoured by admission to the Order of the British Empire in recognition of her service to Medicine and the Community.
Henry Brigden Park, Penrith – Henry Alfred (Barry) Brigden, 1896-1979
A World War I Light Horse veteran who settled in Penrith after the war. He was known for his community spirit and his involvement in local sport, mainly cricket and harness racing. The park is created on land he made available for sale to Council.
Jack Jewry Reserve, St Marys – Jack Jewry, 1945-1966
One of the first conscripts to die at the battle of Long Tan in Vietnam. He served in the National Service and grew up in St Marys, so it was deemed fitting to name a park in the Duration Cottage area after him.
Jim Anderson Park, Werrington Downs – Jim Anderson, 1943-2003
He was a Councillor with Blacktown City Council, serving a four-year term as Mayor from 1991-1995, and then a member of the NSW Parliament, to which he was elected as Member for St Marys in 1995. He became Member for Londonderry when the two electorates were merged in 1999, and continued until his death on 22 March 2003.
John Batman Avenue Reserve, Werrington County – John Batman, 1801-1839
Pioneer and entrepreneur best known as the founder of Melbourne.
Judges Park, Penrith – Arthur William Nepean Judges, 1857-1941
Alderman on Penrith Municipal Council from 1886 to 1895, and Mayor from 1891 to 1895; he put forward the idea of purchasing the land for a park while an alderman. He was a pharmacist, establishing Judges Pharmacy in High Street, the first chemist shop to open in Penrith. He was a founder of the Nepean Cottage Hospital and served in various offices for forty years. He was also an amateur photographer and horticulturalist.
Kevin Dwyer Park, Colyton – Kevin Joseph Hibberson Dwyer OAM, 1927-2004
Served on Penrith City Council for twenty-two years, 1977-1999, fulfilling the role of Mayor on three occasions and Deputy Mayor on twelve occasions. He was involved with many local organisations, including the Penrith Symphony Orchestra, the Penrith District A.H.&I. Show Society, St Marys Band Club, the Colyton/St Clair Lions Club, the St Marys Development Committee, the St Marys Historical Society, and the St Marys South Public School Council. In 1995, Kevin was awarded a Medal of the Order of Australia for his service to local government, and in 2001 he was awarded a Centenary Medal.
Kevin Maley Park, Colyton – Kevin Maley, 1919 – 1995
A prominent identity in the St Marys area, especially known for playing the town crier and Santa Claus; he was secretary of the Council’s Development Committee and involved in the Chamber of Commerce.
Lincoln Park, Cambridge Park – a town in Lincolnshire, England
When Cambridge Park was sub-divided, the streets were named after towns and colleges in Britain, in keeping with the English-sounding name of the suburb. Lincoln is an agricultural town in Lincolnshire.
Margaret Porter Reserve, St Marys – Margaret Jean Porter, 1949-1997
Secretary to the St Marys Chamber of Commerce, also known for her charity work at Mamre Homestead and her work with the St Marys Development Committee. She ran as an independent in the 1995 Penrith City Council election.
Pauline Fields Park, Penrith – Pauline Fields, 1945-2003
Lived next to the park for many years and kept the park tidy, removed graffiti with her own paint and replanted trees at her own cost. She was also involved with the Meals on Wheels program and the Penrith Softball Club.
Robin Wiles Park, North St Marys – Robin Annette Wiles, 1942-2003
Councillor on Penrith City Council from 1991 to 1999. She became President of the St Marys Development Committee in 1996 and in 2002 organised the inaugural “Carols in the Park” at the reserve.
Robinson Park, Jamisontown – Herbert Charles Robinson, 1863-1936
The land was owned under the family name of ‘Robinson’ from 1900 to 1975. The choice of name is to commemorate in particular Herbert Charles Robinson who was an early pioneer in the milk industry in the Nepean District. He was one of the founders of the Nepean Cooperative Dairy and Refrigerating Society, and an early member of the Nepean Agricultural, Horticultural and Industrial Society.
Roger Nethercote Park, Caddens – Roger Phillip Nethercote, 1952-2014
He worked with Penrith City Council for 24 years from 1990 in various senior planning positions, including Environmental Planning Manager and People and Places Group Manager. During his time with Council he oversaw the conservation of 1500 hectares of bushland and the delivery of ten new urban communities. He was also Chair of the WSROC Environmental and Strategic Planners Committee, and involved with the Penrith City Children’s Services Board and the Penrith Performing and Visual Arts Board.
Sales Park, Luddenham – Henry Lewis (Harry) Sales, 1894-1970
An old identity of the Luddenham area, who took an active interest in the affairs of the township. He worked as the local blacksmith and ran a mixed business with his wife Lydia. He was President of the Luddenham Show Society, the Agricultural and Horticultural Society, and the Parents and Citizens Association for many years, and an active member of the Luddenham Progress Society.
Smith Park, Castlereagh – Thomas Richard Smith, 1844-1918
Member of Parliament for Nepean multiple times during the period 1877-1904, serving more than 13 years total. An Alderman on Penrith Municipal Council, and Mayor of Penrith 1889-1891, during which time he was instrumental in bringing electric lighting to the Penrith. While M.P. for Nepean, he requested the purchase of a park at Castlereagh, and was given responsibility for naming it.
Spence Park, Penrith – Lisle Freeman Spence, 1884-1972
Alderman on Penrith Municipal Council from 1938-1944. He was Mayor of Penrith in 1942-43, and Deputy Mayor in 1944. The land within the park was acquired from a member of the Spence family.
Ted Little Park, Colyton – Edward Douglass (Ted) Little, 1924-1989
Well-known resident of Colyton, involved with the Soccer Club, the Boy Scouts and Girl Guides, and Colyton Public School. He organised a variety of community events, and was known for dressing as Santa for Christmas celebrations.
Tench Reserve, Penrith – Captain Watkin Tench, 1758-1833
Pioneer and explorer who discovered the Nepean River in 1789, and traced it to the Hawkesbury River.
Wainwright Park, Kingswood – Wainwright family
Blacksmiths who first came to Australia circa 1854, settling at Colyton to shoe teams of horses who travelled over the Blue Mountains. The family contributed significantly to the Kingswood community over many generations, and are still residents of the area.