Where is Jamisontown?
Jamisontown, New South Wales, Australia is located on the eastern side of the Nepean River, bounded on the south by the M4 Motorway, and the north by Jamison Road. York Road is the eastern boundary. Jamisontown is a diverse and changing suburb. A blend of residential,rural, industrial and large retail outlets provide an atmosphere of a bustling and busy suburb of the Penrith Local Government area. The upgraded and increasingly busy Mulgoa Road cuts through this suburb and takes travellers off the M4 Motorway to the Nepean River, Penrith Lakes Scheme, Penrith Panthers, Penrith Plaza and the city’s Central Business District. Residents of Jamisontown are perfectly located to take full advantage of the facilities in their suburb and those close by.
33 46′ S 150 40′ E
|Postcode: 2750||Population: 4786 (2006 Census)||Distance from Sydney: 56 km|
|Area: 8.14 km or 814 ha||Density: 5.88 people per ha (2006 Census)||Jamisontown NSW on Google Maps|
- Blaikie Road is a major industrial street in the suburb. Named after John Blaikie who owned a dairy at Jamisontown/Regentville.
- Mulgoa Road is a major access road from the M4 Motorway into Penrith. Named after the village from which it eminates
Origin of the place name – Jamisontown
Named after Thomas Jamison (1745-1811), who was granted 1,000 acres in 1805 by Governor King. Thomas Jamison arrived with Governor Phillip as Surgeon’s Mate, on the First Fleet ship, “Sirius”, in 1788, progressing to Surgeon-General of N.S.W. in 1803. Jamison’s 1805 grant was situated south of the present Jamison Road and was bounded on the west by the Nepean River. Thomas Jamison returned to England where he died in 1811. He signed over his property in New South Wales to his son Sir John Jamison (1776-1844) who arrived in the Colony in 1814 and later built “Regentville”. Jamisontown is now a neighbourhood within the locality of Penrith.
|1805||Land grant of 1000 acres given to Thomas Jamison|
|1811||Thomas Jamison dies in England, his properties pass to his son Sir John Jamison|
|1908||13 December||Holy Trinity Church opened|
|1911||4 November||William Ewart Hart made the first cross country flight in Australia from Penrith to Parramatta Park, being 18 miles and taking 12 minutes|
|1976||Jamisontown gazetted as a neighbourhood|
|1982||14 November||Official launch of Nepean Belle|
Historic buildings & places
Sir John Jamison Catholic Cemetery: This cemetery is located on the northern end of Lilac Place Jamisontown. The cemetery originally stood on a small hill with panoramic views across the Regentville estate. During the 1980’s it was surrounded by residential development. Sir John Jamison gave a small section of his estate for use as a burial ground by Irish Catholic convicts and workers on his estate. The cemetery dates from the 1830’s with the last burial being in 1967. Nepean Family History Society transcribed this cemetery in 1994.
Jamisontown United Church: The church and Sunday School owed its establishment in 1889 to John Price who was until his death in 1893, it’s superintendent and secretary. The church began as an all denominations United Sunday School to cater for the growing population of the two Jamisontown subdivisions of mostly small farms. The church was built on the corner of Mulgoa Road and Stuart Street, and continues to serve its local community. In 1981 it was welcomed into the Uniting Church.
For photos and more information on Erskine Park, search Penrith City Library’s catalogue using an All Resources search.
Murray, Robert and White, Kate Dharug & Dungaree: The History of Penrith and St.Marys to 1860. Penrith City Council, Penrith, 1988.
Nepean District Historical Society, From Castlereagh to Claremont Meadows: Historical Places of Penrith City Council, Penrith, 1997.
Parr, Lorna, A History of the Nepean and District Street Names, Nepean District Historical Society, Penrith, 1990.
Stacker, Lorraine Pictorial history: Penrith & St Marys, Kingsclear Books, 2002.
Stevenson, Colin R., Place Names and their Origins within the City of Penrith, Penrith City Council, Penrith, 1985.