This page is a portal to information on the history of the City’s Local Government
Local government within the City of Penrith began with the formation of district councils in 1843. Incorporation of the town of Penrith in 1871 was followed by St Marys (1890), Castlereagh (1895), Mulgoa (1893) and Nepean Shire (1913). On 1 January 1949 all of these local government authorities amalgamated to form Penrith Municipal Council. Ten years later the Municipality of Penrith was proclaimed a City.
10 November 1959.
Last meeting of Penrith Council in the Council Chambers in Henry Street
(Next door to where the Library was later built in 1964)
Penrith Municipal Council 1871 – 1959
Penrith City Council 1960 –
In 1889 one hundred and thirty eight citizens of the St Marys area petitioned the government asking for incorporation as a municipality.
In 1893 a petition was received by the Government from residents of Mulgoa, then part of the Penrith Municipality, asking for a separate council. The Government, led by the Premier George R. Dibbs, proclaimed the Municipality of Mulgoa on 26 July 1893.
A petition from the residents of Castlereagh on 25 April 1895 resulted in the proclamation of Municipality of Castlereagh on 9 September 1895. It was a small municipality serving a scattered rural community.
Nepean Shire Council 1906-1948
The Nepean Shire Council was formed in 1906, covering the areas of Cobbitty/Hoxton Park, Austral, parts of Luddenham and Narellan. In 1912, Mulgoa Municipal Council petitioned the Minister of Public Works for the inclusion in the Nepean Shire.