St Stephen the Martyr

St Stephen of Martyr Anglican Church

St. Stephen the Martyr Anglican Church, High Street Penrith

Anglican Church of St Stephen the Martyr - Penrith

First Incumbent: The Rev. Henry Fulton was the first rector. He knew the area and its people well, as he had been a minister of the older area of Castlereagh just north of Penrith since 1814, and was also a magistrate of the court in Penrith.

A Local Landmark: The northwest corner of the Church’s thirteen metre tower was made Penrith’s trigonometric point and the tower became a landmark for travellers in the early days.

The Fabric: Built in local sun-dried brick, the exterior of the church began to crumble and was cement-rendered in 1906, both inside and out. Restoration and repairs have remained an on-going necessity.
The Interior: Originally, the pew settings were box type, rented as was the custom of the time, by various families. The box pews were removed and open long pews installed in the 1860’s. In 1952 the present arrangement of a centre aisle was effected. The bell, said to have been cast on the site, is dated 1838 and is still in use.

The Windows: The eastern window demonstrates the style produced in the 1870’s in N.S.W. and later ones present as pictures – those in the vestry depict the marriage in Cana and the 4 in the northern porch have caused it to be known as the Apostles’ Porch.

Ph: (02) 4721 2124
Fax: (02) 4722 3192

Rector: Rev. Rick Miller
Senior Assistant Minister: Andrew Mahaffey

Postal Address – 5 Fulton Street Penrith 2750 New South Wales Australia

Service Times:

Sundays – 7.30am | 9.15am | 11.00am | 6.30 pm

St. Stephen’s Mission Statement:

We are a family of Christians meeting at St. Stephen’s Anglican Church, Penrith as several congregations and groups expressing worship in diverse ways in accordance with our Anglican Heritage.
We are here to reach out to those who don’t know the Lord and to welcome them as members of his family.

As we encourage others in their faith in Jesus Christ through worship, fellowship, teaching, and spreading the Gospel locally and throughout the world, so our faith and commitment to Him will deepen.
In doing the Lord’s work, we do not rely only upon the talents and resources God gives us, but also, through prayer and reading and study of the Bible, we seek guidance and power from the Holy Spirit.

St. Stephen’s Anglican Church was the first Church built in Penrith and is now the 15th oldest surviving church in NSW. The foundation stone was laid on 22nd November, 1837, the local community contributing freely towards the cost of building the church.

The Site: The land on which the church stands was part of the original grant to John Best. Subsequently sold to John Tindale, this “one acre more or less”, which at the time was in the centre of the little village of Penrith, was obtained from John Tindale by the church for “£20 of lawful money”.

The Consecration: The Bishop of Australia, the Rt. Rev. William G. Broughton, consecrated St. Stephen’s Church on July 16th, 1839.

Below is a contemporary sketch by James Lethbridge Templer of the Church prior to its consecration. This sketch was made in June 1839, a month before St Stephen’s Church was officially consecrated. St Stephens, featured prominently in the sketch, had only just been completed. This rare drawing is one of a series of sketches made in 1839 by James Lethbridge Templer. contemporary sketch by James Lethbridge Templer of the Church prior to its consecration
Original in the possession of Mrs Angela Templer. Courtesy of the Mitchell Library, Sydney

Senior Ministers of the Parish (Rectors)

  • Henry Fulton
  • Thomas Makinson
  • Robert Knox Sconce
  • Ben Lucas Watson
  • Elijah Smith
  • John Vaughan
  • George Brown
  • Edward Hargrave
  • Henry Holliday
  • Mervyn Archdall
  • Montague Hinsby
  • Leslie Hatfield-Hall
  • H. Norman Powys
  • John William Ferrier
  • Raymond Chapple
  • Archibald Hodgson
  • Richard Owen Dykes
  • Warron Bryden-Brown
  • Donald Jesse Wilson
  • David Gray Mulready
  • Rick Miller
  • 1838-1840
  • 1840-1841
  • 1842-1843
  • 1844-1853
  • 1853-1868
  • 1868-1880
  • 1881-1899
  • 1899-1902
  • 1903-1907
  • 1908-1913
  • 1914-1920
  • 1920-1924
  • 1924-1932
  • 1932-1936
  • 1936-1947
  • 1947-1960
  • 1960-1966
  • 1967-1984
  • 1984-1993
  • 1993-2000
  • 2000-present

The Archives Office is located in the old rectory next door to the Church in High Street. The archivists are always keen to receive information about the parish, however trivial. Their aim is to index material so that it can be made available for interested persons and those conducting research.

The honorary archivists may be contacted through the Parish Office 9am-1pm, Monday to Friday or by telephoning (02) 4721 2124.