Despite opposition from storekeepers and undertakers, T R Smith reported in 1878 that a general cemetery would be established at St Marys (‘The estimates 1879’, Cumberland Mercury, 16 November 1878, p. 4.). It was dedicated in 1881 and trustees were appointed for all denominations. (‘Trustees for land purchased at South Creek’, New South Wales Government Gazette, No. 224, 7 June 1881.) The first burials in the cemetery were twins James and Walter Luther who died in 1885.
Stacker, Lorraine, ‘Penrith: The Makings of a City’, Ultimo NSW, Halstead Press, 2014 p110
Council took over management of this cemetery in 1967. This cemetery began in 1881 with the dedication of the Anglican Section, and the first burial was in 1886. In the post Second World War period, many new settlers arrived from other countries. St Marys cemetery has a large number of Greek, Maltese, Italian and Eastern European graves.
In recent years, a Greek Orthodox Section and a Coptic Orthodox Section have been developed.
Visit the Research Room at Penrith Library for more information about the history of this cemetery.