National Family History Month is on in August. It is an initiative of AFFHO (Australasian Federation of Family History Organisations).
Family history and genealogy is one of the most popular past-times around the world. There are over 250,000 Australians who are members of family history related organisations, including our local Nepean Family History Society at Emu Plains which has over 250 members. So, an organised NFHM full of events, has a broad appeal across Australia. Libraries, archives and family history societies participate in the month of events. To check out what events are on visit:
At Penrith City Library:
Research Services are running three events this year as part of National Family History Month:
- Friday 12 August 10am
Movie morning in the Peter Goodfellow Theatrette
This Australian classic was released in 1976, 40 years ago, and so to celebrate its release we are screening the movie as a community event. It was one of the first Australian films to present a wholly female narrative. In addition, Caddie was a local Penrith woman, Catherine Beatrice Edmonds. She immortalised life in the depression years in her book Caddie: a Sydney Barmaid.
Two talks prior to the screening:
– Information Librarian Lorraine Stacker will look at some facts on the movie. As well as outlining Catherine Edmonds’s life. She is buried in Penrith General Cemetery.
– Historical researcher, Vicki Wilson will talk on her past life as a wigmaker. She worked on the film Caddie making a number of wigs including those of Helen Morse who played Caddie.
- Tuesday 16 August 10am TROVE workshop, PC Training Room
- Thursday 25 August 10am Family History workshop – basics for people starting, PC Training Room
Tickets are free for all events, but are limited in the case of the workshops, due to space considerations.
All tickets are available at Penrith desk only.
At Nepean Family History Society:
- Free access to the Library’s Resources including Ancestry & Findmypast
- Talk family history with NFHS members
- have a chat over a cup of tea
- Saturday 6 August 1.30pm: Donna Lund will be presenting a talk on publishing your family history followed by Lorraine Stacker who will be discussing her personal experiences with DNA testing
- Wednesdays: 10.30 -11.30 3 August – What’s available at Nepean Family History Society Library
- 10 August: Writing Workshop with Lorraine Stacker on getting THAT story written. Bring the details along about your family member, and we will workshop the writing process together
- 17 August: Writing Workshop with Lorraine Stacker
- 24 August: Writing Workshop with Lorraine Stacker
- 31 August: Lorraine Stacker who will be discussing her personal experiences with DNA testing
Enquiries:Judy McLeod – 0247331631 email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Old School House, Great Western Highway,
Emu Plains (parking off Lawson Street)
Tues, Wed & Thurs 10am to 2pm;
to 9pm; Sat 2pm to 5pm