On Sunday 19 March 1916, a temporary Roll of Honor was unveiled by Reverend M G Hinsby at St Stephen’s Church. The roll listed soldiers and nurses from the parish who had volunteered for active service. “The design featured the Royal Australian Coat of Arms, surmounted by the symbolic figure of Liberty holding the figurative wreath of immortality gained, patriotically by the soldiers who have taken up arms in the sacred cause so dear to the Empire and our Allies.”
On Sunday 23 May 1920, the permanent St Stephen’s Church of England Honor Roll was unveiled. The honor roll contained the list of the Church of England soldiers and army nurses from the parish who served during the war. Interestingly, some of the names that appeared on the temporary roll were not listed on the permanent roll.
The unveiling ceremony was performed by the Rector, Rev. L. Hatfield Hill, who explained to the congregation that he had been unable to get the Prime Minister or someone of prominence in the army to perform the task. The rector read the names on the roll, and also announced those who had been killed. The Last Post was played by Bugler Wrench (from the scouts) and the band played the Dead March. The choir sang an Empire anthem composed by the late Canon Archdall (a former rector of St Stephen’s) with N. Colless singing the solo part. The unveiling was attended by the Mayor and aldermen of Penrith Council, the citizens military forces who marched from the drill hall accompanied by the St Marys band, the scouts and the St Stephen’s congregation.
The tablet, was made by Messrs. John Price and Sons from Sicilian marble. The design featured a rising sun and crown on top with the names inscribed on four raised panels. The tablet measured 7 foot by 5 foot. The cost of the tablet, slightly over £100, was the result of subscriptions raised by the parishioners.
Source: “Unveiling Roll of Honor”, Nepean Times 25 March 1916, p4
“Honor Roll Unveiled: The Soldier Parishioners of St Stephen’s, Nepean Times 29 May 1920, p 2