St Marys War Memorial

 

St Marys War Memorial Victoria Park

000610

When World War I started in 1914, over 100 men from St. Marys district answered the call for service. Twenty-two of them did not return when the war officially ended four years later in November, 1918. To honour the memory of these men, the inhabitants of the St. Marys district decided to build a memorial. This memorial still stands in Victoria Park facing the Great Western Highway.

On 18 October 1920, the Memorial Committee decided to conduct a house to house canvas of the municipality designed to attract contributors to the Memorial Fund. These contributions would be collected monthly for the period of a year. The mayor of St Marys, Alderman T Brooker, presided over a meeting held on 6 December 1920 to decide on the form the soldiers memorial should take. Several proposals were placed before the meeting, the most popular choice being the erection in Victoria Park of a rotunda similar to one at Mount York.

By January 1922, plans were underway for the laying of two memorial stones. In March 1922 a total of £470 had been raised and the list of proposed names to be inscribed on the memorial was circulated. A fundraising carnival was planned for the 11-13 May with the aim of raising £300 towards the memorial.

A meeting of the Soldiers Memorial Committee set the date for the unveiling ceremony as October 28, 1922. A tender submitted by Messrs Loveridge and Hudson for the tablets bearing the names of the local soldiers was accepted at £61. By mid-September, the funds required for the memorial had been raised, but additional costs associated with the mounting of the war trophies and a flagstaff, had not yet been raised. A meeting on October 9, 1922 was held to finalise the arrangements for the unveiling of the memorial.

The St. Marys Memorial Pavilion was officially opened on November 18, 1922, by Major-General Sir Charles Rosenthal, a distinguished soldier of the AIF. Sir Charles also unveiled the memorial tablets attached to three sides of the structure. An estimated crowd of 700 people attended this opening ceremony.

Two trophy guns (since removed) were also unveiled to the left and right of the memorial. Mr R.B. Walker, MLA, in unveiling the trench mortar to the west of the memorial, pointed out that it was captured at Mont St. Quentin by the 20th Battalion, 2nd Australian Division led by Sir Charles Rosenthal. The second trench mortar, placed to the east of the memorial, was unveiled by Mrs. S. Young, secretary of the local branch of the Red Cross Society.

The activities and speeches of the day were duly recorded in the “Nepean Times” newspaper, the paper devoting a whole page to the occasion. The architect of the memorial was Mr A.S. Carfae, of Sydney, the builder being Mr E. Exley, of St Marys. The local newspaper described the concrete memorial pavilion as being: “Octagonal in shape, but with four alternate faces of lesser width than the other four. Three of the later, viz., those facing east, west and north bear the memorial tablets. The platform is reached through an entrance into the basement of the southern side, and thence by a stairway. The superstructure consists of eight solid pillars supporting the roof. The pavilion is 30 feet high and is 18 feet in width. The width of the enclosure each way is 40 feet. The entrance to the enclosure is by a gate at the north-eastern corner.” The report concluded by giving some interesting statistics: “About 150 tons of material was used in the construction of the memorial and there is 1 3/4 miles of reinforcing wire in it.”

Source: ‘St. Marys Soldiers’ Memorial’ Nepean Times, 4 November, 1922.

See also – St Marys Historical Society – WW1 Soldiers from St Marys & Surrounding Areas


Victoria Park War Memorial Pavillion

This memorial was erected by Public Subscription

1922

A. S. Carfrae Eli Exley

Architect Builder

Northern Side:

The northern side of the pavillion is incribed:

1914-1918

THEY DIED FOR FREEDOM AND HONOUR

William Henry Andrews Kenneth Halstead Jackson
Harry Adams Samuel Luke
Sydney William Bennett Cecil Mallard
William Joseph Doolan William Perry
William Feening L. Phillips
Arthur Stanley Gerring William James Robertson
Athol Garner Herbert Ryan
William Garner Arthur Valentine Steel
John William Gardiner S. Telfer
Edward James Hope Henry Lethbridge Tingcombe
C. Hope Noel Lethbridge Tingcombe

Eastern Side:

ROLL OF HONOUR

F. Abbott Norman Dollin
A. Ashley Roy Dollin
S. Ashley C. Dickson
A. Auckland C. Edens
Alexander Bradley W. F. Elliot
J. Barrett W. E. Engel
George Henry Beacroft H. R. Ford
Harold Victor Bennett C. F. Flood
Gustave Bonnard G. H. Floyd
Francois Bonnard Harold Garner
J. Brislan Cecil J. Gersbach
R. Boots Clarence Gersbach
E. J. Boots R. Gibson
Benjamin Cook Cyril Giles
E. Crump S. Giles
A. Cunnynghame C. Griffith
Claude Stephenson Cook J. Guild
W. H. Clarke Darcy Hackett
E. Chesham James Samuel Hackett
E. J. Chesham Thomas L. Haining
C. Craig R. Harvey
Frederick W Desborough A. Hope
Albert Victor Desborough

Western Side:

ROLL OF HONOUR

Eric H. Jackson Richard Parkin
Frederick Walter Jones William Gyford Parkin
P. M. Leeder Clarence William Paskin
John King Lethbridge A. Richardson
Jerome Locke H. Rose
Leslie John Locke Frederick Harold Rowntree
Olga Cecil Locke J. W. Scott
Carlton George Lyneham Cecil Darcy Shadlow
F. McCarron C. Shubert
T. H. McClure G. Sykes
Peter Will Methven George Wilfred Sykes
Francis Robert Eugene Michau H. Sparkes
C. Mikkleson D. Thompson
C. Miller J. B. Thompson
A. A. Mitchell A. Tolhurst
C. Mitchell Anthony J. Turner
E. J. Morris George Gerald Turner
Theodore Gilbert Muscio Francis Viney
Bruce Fitzroy Noble H. Vivian
Clarence Kingsley Noble W. Walker
Alfred James Orton A. Waters
V. R Padoock A. Watson
O. Plummer J. Wilkinson