Proclamation for a District Council for Penrith

Proclamation for a District Council for Penrith

New South Wales Government gazette 25 August 1843.

Colonial Secretary’s Office,
Sydney, 24thAugust, 1843

District Councils

His Excellency the Governor directs it to be notified that Letters Patent, under the Great Seal of the Colony, have been issued, bearing even date herewith, incorporating the inhabitants of the undermentioned Districts, for the purposes of the Act of the Imperial Parliament, 5 and 6 Victoria, c.76, intituled ‘An Act for the Government of New South Wales and Van Diemen’s Land,’ and also establishing within each of the said Districts a Council for the Local Government thereof.

These Charters are precisely similar in their provisions to the Charter establishing the District Council of Maitland, as published in the Supplementary Government Gazette of the 26th of July last; and the following are the Gentleman nominated in the respective Charters, to fill the Offices hereafter named respectively, viz. :-

PENRITH.

WARDEN- William John Gibbes, Esquire.

Councillors

Robert Copland Lethbridge
Edward Cox
William Russell
Henry Cox
Edward James Blaxland
Robert Dulhunty, Esquires.

The boundaries of the District of Penrith, as prescribed by the Charter, are as follow :-

Embracing the south-eastern portion of the County of Cook, a western portion of the County of Cumberland, and a small portion northward of the County of Camden; bounded on the north from Rooty Hill, and Eastern Creek by the Richmond Road to Rickaby’s Creek; thence by a line bearing north-westerly to Grose’s River, and by that river to Mount Hay; on the west from Mounty Hay, by a line bearing southerly to the Weatherboard Hut, thence by Jamison’s Valley to Cox’s River; on the south by Cox’s and the Warragamba Rivers to a point two miles above the confluence of the Warragamba and Werriberri, thence by a line bearing east to the Village Reserve on the Nepean, thence by the Nepean, Bringelly Creek, and Bringelly Road, to South Creek; on the east by South Creek to the Northern Old Road, and a line bearing north-westerly to Eastern Creek, to Rooty Hill, and the Richmond Road aforesaid.