Location: Where is Caddens?
Caddens, is located between Kingswood, Orchard Hills and Claremont Meadows. Caddens is situated close to the M4 and backs on to Western Sydney University. Designated a suburb in 2012, Caddens continues to grow as more land is released for development, with new areas including Caddens Knoll and Caddens Hill adding to the ever expanding suburb.
|Postcode: 2747||Population: 1,475 (2016 census)||Distance from Sydney: 45km|
|Caddens NSW on Google Maps|
Local Government: Caddens is located in East Ward of the Penrith Local Government area.
State Government: Caddens is located in the State Government Electorate of Londonderry.
Federal Government: Caddens is located in the Federal Government Electorate of Lindsay.
Aboriginal Districts: Caddens is located in the Deerubbin Local Aboriginal Land Council Area.
Caddens is built mostly on two land grants belonging to John Gandell and Mary O’Connell.
A 200 acre land grant was received by John Gandell in 1814 from Governor Macquarie. Gandell was a former convict who became a superintendent of prisoner’s Barracks at Hyde Park.
Mary O’Connell, the daughter of Governor Bligh, was granted 1,055 acres when she married her second husband Maurice O’Connell. This grant was given by Governor Macquarie and became known as Coallee.
When Maurice O’Connell died in 1848, his family defaulted on the mortgage payments for Coallee and the land was sold to land speculator Andrew Hardie McCulloch. McCulloch subdivided the estate into smaller lots, allowing small settlers to move to the area.
Origin of the place name
The suburb is named after Thomas John Fuller Cadden. Cadden was the first bank manager of the Commercial Bank and was a well known philanthropist in town. He developed property on behalf of the bank.
Roads & Streets
Streets in Caddens are named after the produce that was grown in the orchards in the area, including olives, apples, cherries, citrus fruits, figs, and pears.
O’Connell Street: Named after the Lieutenant-Colonel Maurice O’Connell, the second husband of Mary Putland, and son in law of Governor Bligh.
Caddens Road: Named for Thomas Fuller Cadden.
|1810||Mary O'Connell receives land grant|
|1814||Land grant to John Gandell|
|2012||Caddens designated a suburb|
For photos and more information on Caddens, search Penrith City Library’s catalogue using an All Resources search.
Stacker, Lorraine, Penrith: the makings of a City, Halstead Press, 2014