Private Arthur Mitchell
Bathurst Depot Battalion
Service Number: 33747
Born: 1890, Penrith, NSW
Died: 23 September 1916, Bathurst, NSW
Arthur James Mitchell was born in 1890 at Penrith, the son of William and Sarah Mitchell. After attending Penrith Superior Public School, Mitchell worked as a labourer before enlisting in the AIF. His older brother William also enlisted during World War 1.
Mitchell enlisted on 24 May 1916 and underwent training with the Depot Company at Dubbo from 16 June 1916 until 10 July 1916. He was then transferred to B Company of the Bathurst Depot Battalion.
While serving with this unit, Mitchell was found guilty of being absent without leave (AWOL) between the 7th and 9th August and was fined £1. In September 1916, Mitchell contracted pneumonia and died in Bathurst Hospital on 23 September 1916. He was buried by the Reverend James McKee in the Presbyterian Portion of Penrith General Cemetery on 25 September 1916.
- Honor Roll, Memory Park, Penrith
- Honor Roll, Penrith Superior Public School
- National Archives of Australia: B2455, MITCHELL A J
- Australian War Memorial Roll of Honour
- Penrith City Library Biography files
- Nepean Times 30 September 1916, p4, Col.6